Sunday, August 21, 2022

Impact of Content Standards and Educational Technology Frameworks on Grades 9-12 Safe and Ethical Use Case Study Unit

     I've recently learned that I can use standards (the "what" to teach) and educational technology frameworks (the "how" to teach) to mold and implement my lesson plans.

    For example, the Alabama Digital Literacy and Computer Science (DLCS) standards for grades 9-12 indicate that students in this grade range should be able to "identify, demonstrate, and apply personal safe use of digital devices," as well as "recognize and demonstrate age-appropriate responsible use of digital devices and resources as outlined in school/district rules" (46). These standards of safe and ethical online behavior, as well as the safe-use standards set forth by the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), (guidelines which greatly informed the creation of the Alabama DLCS standards), inspired me. I decided that I could implement a unique lesson on being a responsible citizen of a digital culture. 

    In this lesson, I could teach students about the safe and ethical use of digital devices by having them explore case studies that I created in advance. In each case study, a sample-student would make problematic safety and ethical-use choices. These choices could include actions such as those mentioned in the Alabama DLCS standards. For example, actions could include neglecting to protect a personal device from malware, engaging in cyberbullying, stealing and misrepresenting ownership of intellectual property, or being careless with their digital identity (Alabama DLCS 48). I would use my creative writing experience to create compelling and varied case studies. 

    I would present the case studies using a digital storytelling tool such as Storybird. After students read their respective case studies on Storybird, I would ask them to predict consequences of the problematic behaviors. To come up with their predictions, students would use the Internet to research safe-use policies and examples of real-world legal actions brought against individuals engaging in these misdeeds. 

    Next, students would create digital consequence-narratives. The narratives would begin with brainstorming with pen and paper, move to being shared on Google Docs, and culminate with the production of Storybird books. This way students wouldn't be overwhelmed, as the assignment is broken into parts that build upon each other. 

    During the process of making their Storybird books, students would participate in an in-class and a Zoom workshop during which students would provide constructive criticism on drafts. I would also set up a Q&A Google Doc to further encourage collaboration.

    Subsequently, this lesson would address the DLCS standards of the global collaborator. Students would, for example, "utilize a variety of digital tools to create digital artifacts across content areas" (49). These tools would include Storybird, Google Docs, and Zoom, along with others I have yet to determine. 

    The TPACK educational technology framework model shows that by using overlapping layers of pedagogical, content, and technological knowledge in planning instruction, teachers are guided to use technology in ways that enhance their lessons. 

    I learned from TPACK that it's best to have my goals and standards in mind before I incorporate technology. When coming up with my Safe and Ethical Use Case Study Unit, I first was just reading through the Alabama DLCS standards for grades 9-12. I started creating the unit by considering what I am required to cover in my classes. I then realized I could incorporate Storybird and creative writing to teach my students about the importance of safe and ethical online behavior in a way that would go beyond having them read a document and take a quiz, which is a relevant course of action in some cases, but not when teaching dense material about responsible online behavior. 

    The SAMR educational technology framework model provides another useful planning tool. Using the hierarchies and questions set forth by the model, I could make sure I was using technology for the right reasons. 

    The SAMR model asks teachers to consider the role of technology in a unit or lesson. Technology could serve as, following along with the SAMR acronym, substitution, augmentation, modification or redefinition. It is a hierarchical model which shows at what point technology moves from enhancing to transforming learning, that point being above augmentation, into modification, and ideally redefinition, when the lesson is transformed by the technology used. 

    However, SAMR does not negate the importance of the seemingly surface level stages of substitution and augmentation. Like with Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Objectives in which the more rudimentary skills such as memorization build upon each other to reach higher order skills such as creation, the levels in the SAMR model can build upon one another too, so that educators and students are able to evolve and learn at a sustainable pace. 

    The TECH educational technology framework model explores the question of what would happen if the SAMR model focused on the people in the classrooms in place of objectives alone. The hierarchy in this model builds from teacher-centered activities to activities that involve students, with students even playing a role in creating lessons.

    SAMR and TECH provide frameworks with which I can better evaluate the usefulness of Storybird. Does Storybird serve merely as a substitution for writing a narrative on a piece of paper? Or does it, ideally, transform the unit so that it inspires higher order thinking? Perhaps, a more transformative digital storytelling platform is available. 

    The TECH model reminds me to check that my Safe and Ethical Use Case Study Unit gives students room to make choices and take ownership of their learning. I could give them the opportunity to choose which case studies they respond to, and if it's grade-level appropriate, allow them to choose a suitable presentation platform, rather than everyone using Storybird. 

    Another educational technology framework to consider when planning a lesson or unit is that of PRIMM, which focuses on teaching computer programming. PRIMM breaks down programming into manageable steps that lead to students creating their own programs. I could use PRIMM with students if I expanded my unit to require them to write a program that would serve as an effective way to convey their consequence-narratives. This way, they would be empowered to create on yet another level, which I find exciting. 

    In order for my Safe and Ethical Use Case Study Unit to work best, I would need to keep these standards and technology integration frameworks in mind as I engage in rigorous preparation, including becoming as expert-as-possible in the safe and ethical use policies I want my students to learn. I need to first educate myself before attempting to plan ways to educate my students. 

    I'm excited to see how much is out there with regard to standards being stated explicitly. The DLCS, ISTE, and Alabama Course of Study Standards for English Language Arts all work together to help me figure out what I need to teach. And that is no small task. I'm also encouraged by the support offered by the educational technology frameworks of TPACK, SAMR, TECH, and PRIMM. It's inspiring how these models build upon each other and create new ways of thinking about teaching with technology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Goodbye, Limits. Hello, Possibilities! -- Assistive Technology and Differentiation in the Classroom

       I had no idea that the definition of assistive technology (AT) was so far-reaching -- that there are so many options for helping peop...